Monday, March 1, 2010

February Sock Yarn Review - Schaefer Heather

For the first time I did not finish my review socks - only one of the pair. Blame it on the Olympics, fitting in one more pair for my Ravelympics Challenge - blame it on the King Charles Brocade. Regardless, I can report that this is a lovely yarn and I would use it again for socks.

Schaefer Heather - first

My one and lonely sock. It will get a mate - I promise. I don't seem to have a problem with SSS (second sock syndrome).

This is the first sock yarn I've knit that did not pool on the gusset. Now, that's a neither here nor there. Most handpainted sock yarns pool because of the increased number of stitches that are gradually decreasing. Striped yarns have narrower stripes; random yarns pool in blotches - and I am generally very pleased with the changes. This one, for some reason I don't fully understand doesn't look all that different.

Schaefer Heather - gusset

A few facts:

Yarn: Schaeffer Heather
Content; 55% superwash merino, 30% silk, 15% nylon
Needles: 2.25 mm
Gauge: 8.5

At this gauge, the fabric is tight and solid. I could really feel the silk in the yarn while I was knitting - and I would give the silk the credit for the sheen. All in all, a lovely yarn, although I think I might make my next skein into a scarf. There's only so much decadence these feet can take (or should be entitled to.)

No comments: