Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The real SKA challenge

SKA is Sock Knitters Anonymous on Ravelry. If you're a member of Rav, you know how it can suck you and your knitting into a great vortex of imagined over-achievement. Sometimes it's the same as a double-dog-dare - if you can, I can.

So it was with the January challenge - beads and texture. There was a mystery sock (beads and texture) that I finished. And then, because I can't resist the challenge of designing my own socks, I designed my own beaded texture sock based on the King Charles Brocade stitch pattern. That one I finished. But then I got adventurous - another beaded sock with a variation and then a second textured sock - no beads. And one more textured sock that had nothing to do with King Charles.

I finished one of these on time. And did I finish the others then? Nope. Started the February challenge - and then the March challenge.

So I figure the real challenge of SKA is not finishing in time for the draw - it's finishing the single socks when a new challenge is calling and you'd really rather move on.

So tonight I pat myself on the back: here is the King Charles Brocade Cuffed version - in all its glory. The yarn is The Painted Tiger's Silver Lynx in the Jelly Beans Colourway.

Cuffed King Charles Brocade - finished

These were the greatest pain to knit - what with starting the cuff on straights and joining it, but when they're all said and done, I quite like them.

Isn't there a special prize for people like us?

No comments: