Saturday, October 31, 2009

October Sock Yarn - All finished

Actually, these were all done much earlier this month, but it's not been the kind of month where I spent a lot of time on the computer - except for working. (I worked a lot. I'm getting too old for this.) (Does that matter?)

This was a great yarn to knit. One slubby bit - didn't bother me. The yarn is firm and on 2.25 mm needles, makes a nice firm sock.

These are very stripey - not sort of stripey, but very. Red, white and blue for Les Habs - my beloved Montreal Canadiens. When I was knitting these socks I thought of my father. Dad died recently - and no, he wasn't a Montreal fan. Dad was a dyed in the wool Toronto Maple Leafs fan - such a nice man and so misguided. When I was a kid, Dad watched hockey every Saturday night. I wasn't all that keen on hockey, but if I watched with him, and brought him cheese and crackers at half time, he'd let me stay up to watch The Saint.

I started cheering for Montreal because it made life more interesting to cheer for a team my father clearly did not like. (And was better than his team. Even in the sixties, that wasn't all that difficult.) I had no idea that to be a girl from Winnipeg cheering for Les Habs was not something I should do. We learn what it means to be Canadian in so many ways.

Yarn: Biscotte & Cie's Bella
Colourway: Go Habs, Go!!
Needles: 2.25 mm
Gauge: 8.0 (actually just a titch over)

Coming up for November: Perchance to Knit.

So many yarns, so few months.

Now, off to knit. It's Halloween and the kids have finally gone home.

1 comment:

michelinel said...

I love your words for your father. Thnak you for sharing them with us. I lost my sister last year at the age of 50...too young.

And I love your "go Habs Go" socks too. I made the same for my son, a fan of Montreal Canadians...we live in Montreal !!!!