Saturday, February 26, 2011

The great mosaic challenge

Most months I try to do a pair of socks for the Ravelry group Sockknitters Anonymous (although, seriously, is anyone in this group actually trying to stop knitting socks???). The January challenge was mosaic knitting / slipped stitches. Ah - weakness. I enjoy slipping stitches. It's such an easy way of adding interest to a sock without having to do a lot of work.

So... instead of taking it easy in February, I hit the needles - two pair of Biscotti and two of my own. The Biscotti are done - it was January's hit pattern - Elizabeth Sullivan's Cranberry Biscotti. My version was a bit of an experiment. I used The Unique Sheep's Verve in the Doctors Without Borders Gradiance -

This is where I started: the #4 skein, the darkest, I saved for the cuff, heels and toes. The other three I used for the slip stitch pattern:

11 01 29 verve

I'm not sure this was a great choice - and I'd use another gradiance again where there is a gradual transition from one colour to another. In this case, there was a lot of contrast within each skein and varying amounts of the three colours used - white, red and burgundy.

Keeping track of where I was proved to be difficult - and I couldn't swear that the two socks are identical. They are, however, lovely and I will enjoy wearing them.

11 02 25 gradiance biscotti complete

No comments: