Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A little of this, a little of that

January has been my back to work, nose to the grindstone, git-er-done month. Except when it comes to knitting. I have four sets of socks on the needles and all of them are progressing .... well, shall we say, slowly. Now, the quilt I'm making for my daughter is undoubtedly part of that, but .. I digress.

Here's where we are:

Monthly sock yarn review: Celestial Merino

11 01 20 celestial merino gusset

We're up over the gusset on the first sock. Now, I should be much further along: these are the easiest socks in the world to make and I enjoy every stitch. Don't have to think about them, don't have to worry if I'm following the pattern. I sit, I knit, I am. That's why I love my Toffee Socks. Nevertheless, you see where I am.

And this is why (or at least one of the reasons why).

11 01 20 speckle ridge first sock

My Come Together Socks. The Sockknitters Anonymous challenge for January is mosaic knitting, where slipping the stitches does all the work. It's addicting. I worked through my Harmony Guides for a stitch I thought would work, and this is the result. I call them Come Together, because two yarns coming together makes for a much nicer sock than when they are apart. The yarns are Phildar Preface (the black) and Sliver Moon Farm's superwash in Rio.

Do you ever wonder why sock knitting is so addicting? I remember thinking I would never get them right - now I don't think twice. I know that five years from now this will have passed as one of the crazes of the 21st century, when young women made and wore hand-knit socks, and there won't be the yarns we have now, but when it happens, I'll be set for life!!

No comments: