Sunday, January 2, 2011

Catch-up on December

December was a good month for knitting, but not a great month for writing about knitting.

December always comes with its own blessings and it's own challenges. Christmas is the great blessing. Every year I look forward to Christmas and our celebration of the birth of Christ. This year I was at the Cathedral for the service on Christmas Eve. As it has every year since I was a child, there is magic in Christmas Eve that has nothing to do with Santa Claus or presents. It was a cold, crisp evening, typical of the prairies, the cold of my childhood, and again this year, as I left the building, I enjoyed a deep sense of calm and hope. This is the dark part of the year, into which the light comes suddenly, and there is nothing that cannot be made better.

But ... and the but is always a big one..... getting there is always a great challenge in the eat what you kill world. I worked like a dog to get to Christmas. (As an aside, my dog appears to sleep most of the time. What it is this "work like a dog" thing? Dogs appear not to work at all.)

And so, I knit some before Christmas, but didn't write about it, because I came home every night to think more about getting to sleep than I did about sitting down at the computer.

After Christmas - now that was better. Off to Ottawa for visiting, needles in hand.

So yes, the December Sock Yarn Review is complete.

2010 12 SYR complete

I like this yarn a lot - and I like it more in the knit fabric than in the skein. There is flashing and a minor bit of barber-poling - which I like. The colours stand out clearly.

There was the little issue of the cut in the skein, but there was only one, and the rest of the skein was well-plied and very even. I think it was an anomaly.

I'm looking forward to wearing these socks.

No comments: