Saturday, February 9, 2008

A good start


I must admit I stole the title from Ravelry, from one of the groups that discusses non-conventional or non-English styles of knitting. The Lazy Purl, it would seem, is the way I purl - left hand holding the yarn, and the right needle goes over, grabs it and pulls it through. It's much less complicated than a conventional purl, either right or left handed, and all I need to remember is that it reverses the mount for the knit stitches on the way back. Since I've always knit this way, it's hardly a stretch, since as soon as I could read a pattern, my mother was teaching me how to manage the decreases and the "knit through back loop" instructions. I always thought everyone did it this way: now I know differently.

I love the name - the Lazy Purl. That's me to a T. If there's an easier way to do it, I'm game.

Pictures of socks and stuff coming as soon as the digital camera is out of storage. Well - maybe I'll add one from the stash.

This is a sock I made from Louet Gems Merino - lovely to work with, but the skeins are on the small side, and without realizing what I was doing (there's a surprise), cables are on the large side - of needing lots of yarn, that is. This was an original for me - I call it the Waterfall Cable, because the cables undulate more than cross. I seem to have developed this habit of making socks more difficult than they need to be, particularly when the yarns aren't patterned.




No comments: