Saturday, May 7, 2011

Again - so far behind

Let's just say there's a bit of knitting that has been done, but not a lot of writing. Too much work. Too damn much work. (And then, of course, an interesting federal election - but that's another story.)

Let's get started. These are the March socks:

11 03 26 cascade complete

This is Cascade Heritage - Cascade's sock weight yarn. I had been prepared not to like this yarn because there is just so much Cascade in the world. However, it was a very good yarn to knit. Consistent, good heft and with enough twist in the yarn that it didn't split. It's 75% superwash wool and 25% nylon, and if it's anything like the rest of the brand, it will wear well. The skeins are large and no-one should have a problem not getting a paid of socks from it. This is another that I would buy again.

This is April: Seacoast Handpainted in the Cowboy colourway. This is a yarn I bought years ago from Pick Up Sticks when Connie sold only sock yarn.

11 05 07 seacoast complete

I thought it was a bit on the thin side, but it does have a nice feel. This one is 100% superwash merino and I'm not sure how well it will wear.

The other pair of socks I've finished (and quite like) are these:

11 05 07 pagewood alyeska

This is Pagewood Farm's Alyeska - an MCN blend that is a delight to knit. It's got good heft (as most of the MCN's do) and reminds me of my all-time favourite yarn, Handmaiden Casbah. This yarn is so soft, it would make a great shawlette.

It's only problem (and it shares this problem with Casbah) is that the skeins are short. If you look at the photo, the toe on the second sock is a different colour. Most of the sock is Army Girl, but that one toe is Mississippi Mud. I'm too damn lazy to rip back the completed sock to make them the same, so they're not.

This is what I call my Butterscotch Sock (another "not quite Vanilla"). It's a six-stitch panel rib and gives good leg fit without being too fiddly.

I'll get on to May soon.

Too damn busy.

No comments: